Sunway Healthcare Group in collaboration with the National Blood Bank (Pusat Darah Negara; PDN) is organizing a Blood Donation Drive at three of its facilities in the Klang Valley this June. This is the first such initiative being organised at the group level in conjunction with World Blood Donor Day which is commemorated on 14 June 2022.
‘Donating blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives’ is the theme for this year’s World Blood Donor Day and rightly so – blood is essential to help patients survive surgeries, selected treatments, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries. It is estimated that one pint of blood can save up to three lives.
In 2021, only 2.0% of the Malaysian population donated blood. However, our aim is to achieve 3.5-4.0% rate of the Malaysian population as blood donors, to attain a state of self-sufficiency, so that we are able to supply blood and its therapeutic products as treatment for our patients without having to depend on blood sources from other countries. Therefore, we need more people to come forward to contribute to society. We appreciate and applaud Sunway Healthcare Group for organising this wide scale donation drive at their facilities to promote blood donation awareness while increasing blood supply for the nation,” said Dr Thane Moze A/P Darumalinggam, Ketua Seksyen Pengurusan Penderma Bahagian Perolehan Darah of National Blood Bank.
“At Sunway Healthcare Group, we are cognizant of the challenges faced by the National Blood Bank and understand the importance of blood donation to maintain a steady supply for use by patients, especially during emergency situations. Hence, we want to play our part as responsible corporate citizens through this five-day blood donation drive. We hope this initiative will spur more Malaysians to start and continue donating blood on a regular basis and view blood donation as an act to save lives,” said Dato’ Lau Beng Long, Managing Director of Sunway Healthcare Group.
To facilitate participation from as many people as possible, the blood donation drive will be held across all Sunway facilities in the Klang Valley during the week of 13 June 2022:
- Sunway TCM (Traditional & Complementary Medicine) Centre @ Sunway Geo (13-14 June)
- Sunway Medical Centre Velocity, KL (15-16 June)
- Sunway Medical Centre, Sunway City (16-17 June)
Those who fit the criteria below are encouraged to join the blood donation drive:
- Age between 17-65 years old.
- Weigh 45kg and above.
- Have no chronic medical illness.
- Have not consumed alcohol 24 hours prior to donation.
- Not fasting, pregnant, menstruating, or breastfeeding.
- No multiple sexual partners.
- Had more than five hours of sleep the night before, a good breakfast or lunch and drink plenty of water.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow.
- Allocate some rest time after donation to ensure there are no signs of dizziness, nausea, or pallor before leaving.
Those who are interested to donate are required to register as no walk-ins are allowed due to safety reasons.